Artist, art teacher, constantly learning...
Kit is a Certified Zentangle Teacher and teaches art workshops (playshops) throughout Tasmania – from beginner (no artistic ability required) through to advanced.
Playshops are available for children, for private groups, and for fund raising (contact Kit directly for details).
As a self-professed perpetual student, Kit is excited about the potential for Zentangle® to reach others. The benefits and uses of Zentangle are many. She has not yet encountered anyone who has not found Zentangle fun (and also useful), including:
- 'not artists' discover previously untapped creative abilities
- artists enhance their existing artistic abilities
- experienced artists find, in Zentangle, artistic inspiration as well as relaxation
- calligraphers expand their repertoire for calligraphic illustration and decoration
- graphic designers use Zentangle to get those creative ideas happening (as Kit has!)
- children improve concentration skills and further develop fine motor skills (and Zentangle is an activity that parents and children can enjoy doing together)
- teenagers an untapped artistic talent in our community just waiting to discover new horizons
- writers and other creative people invariably find that Zentangle compliments their existing creative endeavours
- tertiary students discover they can study more effectively by incorporating 'tangle breaks' into study time (Kit provides study time management tips), markedly increasing the amount of study material they can absorb
- workers and their employers improve productivity and reduce stress by discovering the relaxation and concentration skills that Zentangle has to offer
- anyone can benefit from this highly portable, easily affordable, quick to learn, beautiful, and relaxing art form!
Kit accepts commissions for Zentangles and Zentangle inspired artwork (ZIA). For example:
- original artwork for your wall
- illustration for websites
- print media
- one-of-a-kind personalised greeting cards for special celebrations
What is Zentangle?
"Zentangle is an easy to learn method of creating beautiful images from repetitive patterns. It is a fascinating new art form that is fun and relaxing. It increases focus and creativity. Zentangle provides artistic satisfaction and an increased sense of personal well being. Zentangle is enjoyed by a wide range of skills and ages and is used in many fields of interest." (from zentangle.com)
Kit comes from a background of many years working as a qualified Graphic Designer (through her company, KJ Grafix).
Kit is also a calligrapher and perpetual student of both traditional and modern lettering arts.
She has experience working with mixed media art, watercolour and gouache painting, Chinese Brush painting, and illustration.
She creates her own tangle designs – some the product of her imagination, others based on patterns and textures from her 'walk the world' photographs.
Kit very much enjoys amateur digital photography, and this habit furnishes her with a steady supply of artistic inspiration –
|City view from Kit's home|
sometimes she 'walks the world' with her camera allowing whimsy and serendipity to direct her view.
There is tangle inspiration everywhere you look! Once you start Zentangle, you'll see tangles all around you.
Start a journal and save your photographs, magazine clippings, and sketches.
Then, from those images, start to draw and design your own tangle patterns for use with your own Zentangle art. Name your patterns, and share them with the Zentangle community!
Nature is abundant with the most beautiful designs and intricately delicate patterns.
Kit attended the seventh CZT (Certified Zentangle Teacher) training retreat in Providence, Rhode Island, USA, in October 2011. If you are able to get there, I would encourage you to consider attending a CZT training seminar (even if you do not plan to teach Zentangle yourself), as it is an incredibly rewarding and enjoyable experience. Rick Roberts and Maria Thomas offer this retreat only a few times a year (and places fill quickly), so sign up for their newsletter to keep up to date with the latest news on Zentangle and upcoming classes.
|The beauty of clouds from Kit's balcony |
(click image to enlarge)